- It is the idea of infusing your legal system with Koranic principles.
- You can only know the nature of Koranic principles if you read the Koran, and I already know that many of you hate and fear Islam and Muslims too much to do that. [Did you know that two Islamophobic nationalists I know who read it really couldn't find that much wrong with it? One objected to the verse about the jizya - the conditional tribute. (PICKTHAL translation of 9:29: Fight against such of those who have been given the Scripture as believe not in Allah nor the Last Day, and forbid not that which Allah hath forbidden by His messenger, and follow not the Religion of Truth, until they pay the tribute readily, being brought low.")The jizya has no application to the UK anyway unless a neighbouring Muslim country invades and conquers Britain and imposes it on us. Even then, the Britain can escape it by converting to Islam. The other Islamophobic nationalist could only point to the verse that stated that for your loan agreement to be valid it would require one male witness but two female witnesses. (PICKTHAL on 2:282: O ye who believe! When ye contract a debt for a fixed term, record it in writing. Let a scribe record it in writing between you in (terms of) equity. No scribe should refuse to write as Allah hath taught him, so let him write, and let him who incurreth the debt dictate, and let him observe his duty to Allah his Lord, and diminish naught thereof. But if he who oweth the debt is of low understanding, or weak, or unable himself to dictate, then let the guardian of his interests dictate in (terms of) equity. And call to witness, from among your men, two witnesses. And if two men be not (at hand) then a man and two women, of such as ye approve as witnesses, so that if the one erreth (through forgetfulness) the other will remember. And the witnesses must not refuse when they are summoned. Be not averse to writing down (the contract) whether it be small or great, with (record of) the term thereof. That is more equitable in the sight of Allah and more sure for testimony, and the best way of avoiding doubt between you; save only in the case when it is actual merchandise which ye transfer among yourselves from hand to hand. In that case it is no sin for you if ye write it not. And have witnesses when ye sell one to another, and let no harm be done to scribe or witness. If ye do (harm to them) lo! it is a sin in you. Observe your duty to Allah. Allah is teaching you. And Allah is knower of all things.") Hardly a deal-breaker, is it?]
- The people most in a position to understand Secular Koranism are practising lawyers who have read the Koran, and have heard of Donoghue v Stevenson.
- The Hadith is what Orthodox Muslims follow. It is the Hadith that contains all the stuff that non-Muslims and Islamophobes find objectionable about Muslims and Islam. Secular Koranism rejects any Hadith that contradicts the Koran.
- There is no requirement to convert to Islam by anyone at all.
- If you are objecting to obeying laws you don't agree with, then I ask you this: Can you think of any laws you now subject to, in our liberal democracy, that you disagree with?
- All that is required for Secular Koranism to be come into existence is for law students to be required to pass an examination in Koranic Principles and for the judiciary to apply those principles.
Sunday, 17 February 2013
What is Secular Koranism?
http://thevoiceofreason-ann.blogspot.co.uk/2011/12/few-hours-with-koranists.html explains how Secular Koranism would work in practice by referring to the case that any law student who has studied the law on Tort would know: Donoghue v Stevenson http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donoghue_v_Stevenson
I know all this will be too much even for those of you who are legally qualified. I already know that your eyes will have closed and your mouths will have fallen open by the time you read this.