Translate

Monday 3 June 2013

White Guardian-reading BBC-employees just a bit neurotic and illogical about race?

Despite his heartfelt contrition, that Nick Robinson error continues to fuel discussion. We hear from Claire Khaw, the activist-philosopher shunned by both the BNP and the Tories for being a bit too out there. Why apologise, ponders Claire. "Of 'Muslim appearance' could just mean that the person of whatever race was wearing clothes Muslims wear." This is why Claire doesn't work for the BBC. She has also been reflecting on the Sergio Garcia controversy. The golfer hit trouble after racially stereotyping Tiger Woods, suggesting the American legend – a bitter rival – might crave fried chicken. "I like fried chicken," notes Claire. "Am I black?" Sorry Claire. It's not that easy.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/politics/2013/may/29/hugh-muir-diary-waterboarding-bbc

Why is it offensive to say that a black man might like the kind of food black men are known to like?

Is it offensive to say that the British like chips with everything?

Or that they like a good roast dinner?

I certainly would not be offended if you suggested that I like Chinese food because I am Chinese.

Let us keep trying this.

The Spaniard was on stage at the European Tour's gala players' awards dinner, where he was questioned by the Golf Channel's Steve Sands. García, who has been embroiled in verbal battles with Woods since the Players Championship at Sawgrass this month, was asked in jest if he would have the American round for dinner one night during the upcoming US Open. "We will have him round every night," García said. "We will serve fried chicken."

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2013/may/22/sergio-garcia-remark-tiger-woods-row

I am Sergio Garcia.  I say of my English opponent:

"We will have him round every night.  We will serve him fish and chips."

I am Sergio Garcia.  I say of my Chinese opponent:

"We will have him round every night.  We will serve him sweet and sour pork."

I am Sergio Garcia.  I say of my American opponent:

"We will have him round every night.  We will serve him burgers and hot dogs."

I am Sergio Garcia.  I say of my Indian opponent:

"We will have him round every night.  We will serve him curry."

I am Sergio Garcia.  I say of my Jewish/Muslim opponent:

"We will have him round every night.  We will serve him kosher/halal food."

Isn't it a bit racist to suggest that we cannot say such similar things to black people?

I imagine that you would be offended if Garcia was proposing to serve you food you in fact dislike, but who on earth dislikes fried chicken?

You might offend a Chinese person by telling him you propose to serve him dog stew when it is the last thing he wants, but is there any suggestion at all that Tiger Wood dislikes fried chicken?

Would it be racist to say that Guardian-reading BBC employees who are white really are getting just a bit neurotic about the issue of race?

Just stop being nervous and apologising for everything.  It really does you no good at all.

Never apologise, never explain, especially over some harmless remark.  It is a sign of weakness and contemptibly effeminate.

No comments:

Public order, public morality and public education

https://t.co/pgUwDUExiT — Real Vincent Bruno (@RealVinBruno) April 23, 2024 2:00  Denmark outlaws Koran-burning. https://www.samaa.tv/208735...