THE VOICE OF REASON
Solon, (born c. 630 BCE—died c. 560 BCE), Athenian statesman, known as one of the Seven Wise Men of Greece (the others were Chilon of Sparta, Thales of Miletus, Bias of Priene, Cleobulus of Lindos, Pittacus of Mytilene, and Periander of Corinth). Solon ended exclusive aristocratic control of the government, substituted a system of control by the wealthy, and introduced a new and more humane law code. He was also a noted poet.
Wednesday, 2 July 2008
Race and Nation
Is British Nationalism necessarily the exclusive preserve of the white race?
It is not for me to say whether British nationalism is syncretic enough to accept ethnic non-Brits who are assimilated and accept British nationalism above any allegence to their own. I certainly hope it is. If the House of Orange and latter Saxe-Gotha could be accepted as British Royalty, I certainly see such adaptability. If Disraeli could be a Conseravative PM, I would think so. But I am merely an Atlanticist American.
It is not for me to say whether British nationalism is syncretic enough to accept ethnic non-Brits who are assimilated and accept British nationalism above any allegence to their own. I certainly hope it is. If the House of Orange and latter Saxe-Gotha could be accepted as British Royalty, I certainly see such adaptability. If Disraeli could be a Conseravative PM, I would think so. But I am merely an Atlanticist American.
ReplyDelete