Translate

Saturday 17 July 2010

Labour Leadership Hustings


David Milliband was really the best serious speaker, and has a hint of fire and passion, but still came across like a depraved-looking robot.  His summing up speech referred to the "poetry of our policies" which was a little highfalutin.  There were some other well-crafted soundbites that I can't remember and they sounded very written, if you know what I mean. Apparently, Peter supported him but has now gone quiet. 
Ed Milliband seemed to be the friendliest and came early to schmooze those at the front, with his minder.  He has a lisp.  Gave a passionate speech and referred to climate change a lot. 
Andy Burnham reminded me a little of the Ken doll.  He is average sized but comes across as small on TV.  By far the most traditionalist: working class and regional accent.  Interesting about making the NHS take its share of the austerity for a more balanced round of cuts.  Wants to go back to Old Labour roots, reconnecting with core supporters and to no longer chase the media and business elite.  I found myself applauding him after applauding Diane, the two genuine Old Labour types. 
Ed Balls looking more like a matinee idol these days, I thought, but he is no orator really.  A lisp, like the other Ed.  Could be fatal.  Canny Ken Livingstone supports him though, so don't write him off. 

Sorry I didn't manage to get a good pic of you Diane, but you were the wittiest and most principled candidate.  I found myself applauding you spontaneously at one point.  I have seen your hair look better, though. 
Me and my mate Oona.  Doesn't she look lovely?  


Everybody was without exception horrible about Peter Mandelson, I am sad to say.  Let Peter have his say, I say!  Nothing much will hurt the Labour Party now.  

Who do I want to win?  I thought Ed Balls at first because I was tired of Cult of Milliband YOOF, but I have been completely won over by Diane Abbott, because she made us all laugh and cheer.  You will definitely be getting my vote, Diane! The thought of how cross everyone would be if you became leader should be reason enough to vote for you.  It is time we had an entertaining politician who just speaks the truth as they see it. 

I should also mention John O'Farrell the very witty and entertaining MC whom I thought would probably be the best Labour Party leader out of that lot.  "If you want to smoke move to Eastern Europe," he told us in the obligatory safety spiel about turning off our phones and telling us where the fire exits are.  Apparently, Gardeners Question Time was there earlier.  

1 comment:

james said...

Love the photos Claire. Glad to see you listened! ;)
Pity none with fatty Abbott, did she not deign to mix with the hoi polloi?
Any evidence of substance abuse among the candidates?

Mujahid answers some of my 23 questions for Muslims

https://t.co/il73UjGO1X — Koranic Secularism (@Book_of_Rules)  April 25, 2024 2:00   Feminism is the corruption of the morals of women bribi...